If you have accidentally arrived at this page without reading and fully agreeing with the Legal Disclaimer and Copyright Notice, please click here.
|The phonological structure of the Romanian language
This section is a translation of a section presenting the Romanian syllables from Toma Ion, Limba română, Ed. Niculescu,
The phonological structure is determined by the types of possible combinations of the phonologic units
in the Romanian language. Thus, a distinction is made between the vocalic segment (indispensable) and the consonantal segment.
The vocalic segment:
The consonantal segment:
- simple: syllable with one single vowel as nucleus. Sometimes the phenomenon of hiatus occurs, whenever
two syllables from different vowels are enclosed.
- complex: the complex vocalic segments are those named in phonetics diphthongs
We thank the external reviewers who have made many useful remarks and corrections.
- simple: shaped as c-, where the position of c can be fulfilled by any consonant;
- complex: shaped as cc-, ccc-, -c, -cc, -ccc
- cc-: in such groups can occur the majority of the consonant: bl, br, kl, kn, kr, kt, kv, dr, fl, fr,
gl, gn, gr, gv, hl, žb, žg, žg', žm, žn, žv, ml, mr, pl, pn, pr, ps, sb, sk, sk', sč, sf, sg, sl, sm, sn, sp, st, sv,
šk, šk', šf, šl, šm, šn, šp, št, šv, šč, tr, vl, vr, zg, sg', zm, zn, zv.
- ccc-: here can occur only the groups: spr, skr, str, štr, sfr, zdr, sgr
- -c: trivial.
- -cc: the majority of the consonant combinations are allowed in those positions: bd, bz, ks, kt, ft, gd, gn, žd, lb, lč, lk, ld,
lf, lg, lğ, lm, lp, ls, lš, lt, lţ, lv, ly, mb, mf, mn, mp, mt, mţ, nz, nk, nk', nč, nd, nf, ng, nğ, nž, ns, nš, nt, nţ, nz,
pč, ps, pt, rb, rč, rk, rd, rf, rğ, rg, rh, rl, rm, rn, rp, rs, rš, rt, rţ, rv, rz, sk, sm, st, šk, tm, sd, zn.
- -ccc: the positions can be engaged only with the groups kst, mpt, nks, nkt, stm.